Montag, 4. Mai 2009

RO - architecture and religion

ok, what else do I want to tell you?
Hmm, what I really liked about Cluj were the old buildings from the beginning of the last century, although many of them were in a terrible condition. I really like this architectural period, with a lot of floral elements and small spires and oriels on the facades.


(top: corner to the famous mirror street in Cluj, and bottom: the Romanian national theater)

As far as I know, and I'm no expert on this, Cluj has buildings from many different epochs, the important churches are about 1000 years old and mainly gothic, I believe.




(top: church of St. Michael with statue of Matei Corvin; bottom: the Orthodox Cathedral)

Speaking about churches, there is a church on litterally every corner and Romanians are very religious in general. I have seen people making the sign of the cross while passing a church in a bus and on sundays the mass in the Cathedral is so crowded that people are standing in front on the plaza to attend it even oif they don't get in.
I took one of my favorite pics in the Cathedral and it also shows how faithful Romanians are:


Unfortunately, I never visited any of the monasteries in the North of Romania, but they are said to be very pretty.
Oh , this reminds me of my roommate and good friend who is currently living in Romania because he is working for AIESEC there (whooohooo, MC VP OGX Romania!!!!), have a look at his blog!! He will be there for a year so he will really have to tell something about the country and the people there and he has visited the monasteries or at least one ;-)

Keine Kommentare: